This Scent

Inspired by this song as well as countless quotidian and not-so-quotidian events.


This scent
Never goes away,
This scent
Often leads me astray,
This scent
Has plagued me night and day,
This scent
Of pure
Dissent.

This scent
Is wholly unreal,
But this scent
Has such a corporeal feel,
This scent
Is one of irresistible appeal,
This scent
Of pure
Dissent.

This scent
Has taken its toll on me,
This scent
Has me hooked on its ambiguity,
This scent
Is one of rare inanity,
This scent
Of pure
Dissent.

This scent
Roams the corners of my mind,
This scent
Can be nauseating at times,
This scent
Has propelled me through the lines,
This scent
Of pure
Dissent.

This scent
Tells the story of a girl,
This scent
Is her life unfurled,
This scent
That makes her hurl,
This scent
Of pure
Dissent.

This scent
Is overtly nonsensical,
This scent
Coalesces in this poem's vernacular
With the scent
Of mystery,
Ubiquity,
Enigmatically,
A scent
Of pure
Dissent.

1 comment:

  1. I love the song this was inspired by. But this has connotations that prove a lot more subtle and profound.

    And I have an urge to read this at a poetry reading. I'D SO LOVE TO. But I'll just read it in my head to myself for now ...

    ReplyDelete